Thursday, November 30, 2006

Moments: Today's the day...


Because I'm becoming a more socially aware christian, and because I think Jesus cares for the suffering of all humanity, I am posting on both my blogs about World Aids Day (Dec 1).


For many years, I had the dispicable attitude that those with AIDS deserved it. That's right, throw tomatoes. I deserved it, and much more. I puposely shut my eyes to the reality of AIDS/HIV because I bought into the 'gays started it, they get what they deserve' mentality, hook-line-and-sinker. It was convenient to hold this opinion because then I didn't need to spend any time or resources educating myself about the millions and millions of men, women and children who suffer and die from this leprosy of our time.


At this point, I have stopped pointing fingers, stopped being stiffled in the overwhelming numbers that are quoted in the media and the web, and started doing the little I *can* do. I don't know anyone with HIV/AIDs, and so I still struggle with the reality of this ravaging disease....but I won't let that stop me from spreading the word best I can to GET EDUCATED, DONATE, and SUPPORT those trying to help reverse the devastation.


This web site also has tons of info. This site has many pictures of the real victims as well as information and ways to help. I also posted some links on our other blog.


Wear a red ribbon on your blog/website and on your shirt tomorrow. Share the love thru donations to your favorite organization. But *do* something. Please.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, Cindy, I was there too! But for the grace of God...

Dh and I have college friends who are doctors in a remote area of western Uganda. They work a lot with AIDs moms and babies. You might like to visit their website:
paradoxuganda.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, Cindy. May God provide His grace on the complacency of the Christian community for the neglect of the suffering. May He light a fresh fire under our behinds to pray and serve.

My cousin died of AIDS 13 years ago.

BTW, I'm praying for you as you wait to have your mammogram. Your post on TWTM boards persuaded me to stop by and let you know!

May God bless you.

Camy (6 boybarians, 1 little lady) from TWTM boards

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
Thanks for aligning your words with action. You are an inspiration to me! I've "remembered" that good things can be achieved nationally and globally. I've neglected those efforts for too long now as I became disgusted and focused only on local efforts and individuals. You've reminded that each of us can do so much...more! Thank you again.
Love!