Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Musings: Stargirl

I was loaned a copy of the book Stargirl a couple weeks ago. It's a teen novel. I was skeptical.
Now in my third reading, after zipping thru it myself, reading it aloud to hubby, and now to my girls, I am completely enamoured with it.

It is the story of a 10th grade girl attending high school for the first time after being homeschooled. It's a bit of a tall tale....the protagonist is definitely outside the realm of reality as one might expect from a book on human nature. But she represents so much of what I strive to infuse into my daughters' hearts. She is naive, she is friendly and kind to everyone. She is individual in her manners, her dress, her ideas. It is the story of how these things bear upon a school of typical teenagers....how it changes them, how they change her, the regret we all feel about those years in our own lives.

It is a profound study of a girl who represents the best humans can be when they live with their eyes outside themselves. Even though unrealistic, it paints a beautiful picture of childlikeness, with all it's vulnerability and joy.

So here's my plug! It's a great little book to read aloud to teen girls or boys, leaving lots of room for discussion and introspection. My family has laughed out loud, cried, and sighed wistfully thru it. After you read it, here is a great selection of discussion questions you might want to share with your teen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindy-I just discovered your blog through Showered by Grace. I too highly recommend Stargirl. You have a lovely blog.