Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Misadventures: Christmas Season



Well, howdy-do. Not much going on in the homeschool front these days as Christmas is upon us and there's always a million things to do. Even though I told myself this year would NOT become the harried season full of over-activity and over-spending, it has indeed become that once again. All my good intentions to sit cozily on the couch each evening and read favorite Christmas stories with the kids sipping homemade cocoa and nibbling freshly baked cookies have been trampled under shopping lists, receipts, phone calls, school activities, etc.

There's so much to love about Christmas, yet this year I've been overly sensitive to the spending frenzy I see around me...and how easily I give into it. It really gets me down. I'm sad that the things left to do such as christmas cards and holiday baking are simply 'have to's' that I look forward to simply checking off my daily list of obligations. Buying gifts this year has been no fun as we are spending money we don't have due to overspending thru the past 11 months. I desparately wanted to help the needy this season, and we have where we could, but not in the ways I wish.

I did manage to make a homemade advent calendar this year (we're 5 days behind as I type), and I enjoyed decorating the house with homemade touches here and there....but even Johnny Mathis crooning 'Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...' can't seem to pull me out of my funk.

It's so hard to create the magic that descended without effort growing up. It's hard to see the suffering in the world, the idiocy of some people, the frantic pace of life....and hunker down to focus and meditate on the tiny Prince of Peace who came to dwell amoung us. What a beautiful story. And to appreciate the harmony of nature as it gets itself ready for it's winter solstace...the quiet nights, the falling temperatures, the promise of downy snow and crystal icycles.

I long for simplicity especially this time of year. I see all the 'junk', and the piles of things I don't need or want cluttering up my life. My heart sighs deeply as I think of Ma Ingall's little cabin or Tiny Tim's shabby bungalow or a small cave in the Middle East that sheltered a new life, a teenage girl and a bewildered man.

>It's the time of year to reevaluate what's important...and when your life doesn't match what you value, then mental stress, physical exhaustion and discouragement follow. I'd like for once to stop this pattern in my life. For once to hear the bell ringing again and watch for reindeer in the sky. To glory in red and green life savers and tins of cookies stashed in the pantry. To sit under the lighted tree with the room darkened and Mr. Mathis singing on the record player. To hope for a white Christmas.....and to believe for peace on earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful cindy--- memories --need to keep making them. when ya get as old as your old dad they keep us going

love dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy:

I really enjoy your blog site! It gives me the opportunity to share in your beautiful family!

Love,

Aunt Cathy