Saturday, December 30, 2006

Musings: New Year's Resolutions

Here is a list of books I either have on hold at the library, have in my cart on Amazon, or in yet another cart at Alternatives for Simply Living:
~Meal by Meal: Balance thru Mindful Eating
~Living the Good Life on God's Good Earth
~Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
~Food and Faith: Justice, Joy and Daily Bread
~How Much is Enough? Hungering for God in an Affluent Culture
~Irresitable Revolution: Living as An Ordinary Radical
~Food for Life: Spirituality and Ethics of Eating
~31 Words to Create and Organized Life
~Living More with Less
~Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth
~Simplicity Lessons
~Voluntary Simplicity
~Simple Living Investments
~Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving from Affluence to Generosity
~Your Money or Your Life
~Simply in Season
~Tis a Gift to be Simple

Ok, so raise your hand if you see a common thread or two in the above titles?

I'm seriously wanting to curb my consumerism of things....but also with the food I consume. During the next month, hubby and I (and the kids) are going to once again take stock of all our habits. We do this every now and again, but this time the impetus behind it is our newly discovered passion for those in poverty. How can I shop responsibly? How do I eat responsibly? How do I only take my fair share without taking away from others?

Case in point: Yeterday, I dropped one of my girls and her cousin off at the local mall to spend Christmas and babysitting money....After 3 hours, I picked up two giddy (and exhausted) teenagers, completely intoxicated with their many purchases....purses, beads, undies, jeans, etc etc etc.....Totally normal, totally understandable, totally reminiscent of my own teenage years as well as throughout my adulthood. So why did I feel like crying?

Ingnorance is bliss. It really, truly is. Turning away from certain realities of our world is extremely easy in our frenetic culture, one in which our time is spent rushing from thing to thing, accumulating stuff, eating on the run, only to sit down in front of the tv to be bewitched by commercials and shows that repeat the mantra "get more, be more, you're not good enough, be like me, happiness is found here." Our family doesn't even watch tv, and we homeschool thru 8th grade. We drive older cars, live in the city, buy many things on sale or at Goodwill, accept hand-me-downs graciously and gratefully. We go against the culture in many ways. Yet my teenagers have bought the 'get what you can, can what you get, sit on the can' mentality of the world that immediately surrounds them. What is the ancedote for such behavior?

I realize that often the choices I made regarding, say, tv and schooling were done because it was easier to disengage and ignore than to work thru our nature towards greed, selfishness and the like. Now that my kids are mingling and integrating with their culture thru school, movies, and friendships......the pull to conform is all-consuming. I feel discouraged, disappointed, sometimes helpless (if not all-out guilty) trying to swim upstream and pulling the teenagers along for the difficult ride.

But avoiding that difficult journey is no longer an option for me. I know too much. I read and see and hear too many things that will not allow me to turn away in ignorance and apathy. I want to learn a new pattern of thankfulness, of generosity, of humility. To live, as my hubby says, an examined life. I want to take responsibility for the consumption and greed I've participated in, and to re-think creatively about how I can better share the blessings I've been given. I told hubby this morning, I can't even enjoy what I have because it's buried under all the stuff I thought I had to have. I don't want to live a guilt trip....I just want to live with the blessings I've been alloted with a heart of thankfulness and a willingness to share. How much is 'enough'? That is the question I am repeatedly asking myself. How can I model for my teenagers a life that understands and embraces 'enough'? How can I encourage them to live simply, sacrificially, and in contentment? Our culture's idea of 'enough' is non-existent.

I wonder if that means moving out to the country into a little farmhouse with no cell phones, computers, tvs, shopping malls around the corner....or does that mean staying put where we are and learning to stop acquiring 'stuff' at the expense of the poverty-stricken in the world. The first suggestion sounds easier. But, as with most things in life, moderation is where we are forced to grow up. Where we must wrestle with non-conformity, out in the open, without withdrawing from the culture to a point where we have no impact. Living in a comfortable home, enjoying a movie and fast food now and then, shopping consciously, being watchful for opportunities to bless my 'neighbor' wherever I may happen to run into them....that is a life of simplicity and a life of enough. It must be a pattern of life that always finds itself balancing precariously between excess and deprivation. It doesn't allow for much laziness, though, and calls for being 'present' most times, in most choices. But I'm convinced this is where true joy and contentment are found.

So, as usual, I've picked out my research and plan to dive in, assured that drowning myself into the abyss of words, words, words will 'fix' me. What's that you say? Why not just do it instead of read about it? Why spend money I don't have to purchase books about consumption, simple living, and enough?

Is there an echo in here? Did you hear something?

11 comments:

Ampersand said...

Ok, I would like to read these three, from your list:

~Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
~Irresitable Revolution: Living as An Ordinary Radical
~Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth

I am seriously interested in consuming less too. Not talking about buying stuff, cause we don't do too much of that (except books), but I want to consume fewer petroleum products and less paper and create less pollution.

I know you don't watch TV, but can I tell you how wonderful Tivo is? Now we can watch TV without any commercials. Christmas is much better without all the commercials, particularly all the Kay Jeweler, "every kiss begins with Kay," jingles.

SUSAN said...

I've read several of these. I love books on simplicity. "Your Money Or Your Life" is especially transforming and gives the nitty gritty on how to actually simplify. They used to have a really good website and forum, that I frequented regularly. They probably still do.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Simple Living" by Frank Levering and Wanda Urbranska--Hollywood couple that moved to the country to run an orchard. Wanda did the PBS special "Affluenza". If you can rent or buy this video, I highly recommend it.

My biggie for the new year is cleaning out the house...getting rid of STUFF~ The older I get, the more stuff bothers me.

Happy Transforming!

Susan

Elderwoman said...

The way I handled 'the shopping mall dilemma' when my daughters were teenagers was to talk about how hard it was for me to be at the mall and not get 'wanty' too. So I reframed the seductive power of consumerism as something we ALL struggled with, rather than something I blamed them for succumbing to.
Now, as adults with children of their own, I notice that they live simple, very ethical and non-consumerist lives. I think the values kids grow up with, provided those values are LIVED by the parents, not just preached, do stick with them, and even if they seem to get lost for a while they emerge later on.
Blessings on your journey to simplicity.
Marian Van Eyk McCain (author: The Lilypad List: 7 steps to the simple life)

cindy said...

Kim~someone last night just let me borrow Irresistable Revolution (woo woo)! I'll let you know how it goes. As far as Tivo, it wouldn't work here because dh and I are addicted to tv, which is why we don't watch it. I must say, the Kay Jeweler jingle would definitely be um, beyond annoying. :o)

Susan~I'd been wavering on Your Money of Your Life, but our library has it, so I figure I'll go for it! I've also been anxious to see Affluenza...I hope the library has that one too. And I so relate to the 'stuff'. I'm weary of findng creative ways to store it, and am now looking for people who could use it. Different paradigm....

Elderwoman~Thank you for stopping by! I am trying not to be preachy with the girls, although when they get really whiney about how much they don't have, I get a bit militant *smile* I think so much that learning contentment is having an attitude of gratefulness...and in our culture that's very difficult as everyone around us is accumulating. I plan to have 'family reading nights' every week where I read aloud from the books on simplicity, as well as current event-type stories that make them aware of how the rest of the world lives (ie: Darfur)

I hope I can be an even better example of how to live an examined life. Your wisdom is much appreciated! I'll check out your book as well....

Ampersand said...

Cindy...please do let me know about Irresistable Radical...and any of the others that you read.

Ampersand said...

oh, and as for that Kay jingle, you can seriously hear it, easily, ten-thousand times in a holiday season.

My kids have been taught to mock commercials. As in, "look if you buy that, then you will be skinny and happy and never have a problem for the rest of your life."

Anonymous said...

Cindy:

Did u get my comment?

I don't see it here???

L/Dad

SUSAN said...

One More Suggestion, get your hands on

"Material World".

It's a table top book that shows the "stuff" that middle income people own in countries all around the world.

It is eye-opening.

Susan

cindy said...

Dad...didn't get it. Not sure what happened?

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I have Your Money Or Your Life if you'd like to borrow? Also the Simple Living Guide, see you Thursday?
Beth

Anonymous said...

Ms. Chicken:

Let's try again

I read in your wonderful blog: "the question I am repeatedly asking myself. How can I model for my teenagers a life that understands and embraces 'enough'? How can I encourage them to live simply, sacrificially, and in contentment? Our culture's idea of 'enough' is non-existent." -- My thought at the time & now was & is Cindy is a wonderful model for her children. She lives from love & truth and they will see it in her. As we become aware of our own life, including love, hope & fear--those around us (children are the cloest) see the real person. I see your growth & the children will see that model also.

You ae your Mother's daughter !

L/DAD