Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Misadventures: Experiments in frugality

Hmmmm....now what might this eclectic grouping be doing in my kitchen? Well, let me 'splain.

In my pursuit of simplicity, frugality, and health, I spent a day gathering all manner of 'recipes' from the internet for homemade cleaners and toiletries. I'll start right off telling you that baking soda and vinegar are the king of natural cleaners. Olive oil and pure castille soap rank big in toiletries (with baking soda yet again making a strong finish).

Here's a brief listing of products I've made and am currently testing, none of which includes any of those 'unpronounceables':
shampoo
conditioner
soap
shower gel
hair gel
hair spray
deodorant
liquid hand soap
bubble bath
bath salts
body powder
foot soak
toothpaste
lip balm
facial scrub
facial mask
body scrub
mouthwash

Cleaners include:
laundry detergent
laundry softner
dishwasher detergent
dishwasher rinse aid
scouring powder
liquid dish soap
carpet cleaner
antibacterial all purpose cleaner
window/mirrow cleaner
tub/tile cleaner
toilet cleaner

So far the only 'bombs' have been the liquid hand gel and the dish soap. They work fine, but they didn't 'gel'. I'll give them another try next month. My favorite has been the shampoo, which is so fabulous that I didn't need conditioner, styling products or hair spray after using it! Plus my scalp doesn't itch and flake anymore. The soap is also a keeper...can't wait to try new scents and textures. The toothpaste is just plain nasty-tasting, but works wonderfully.

All told, so far I've spent about $100 for the supplies to make all this, and the priciest items were the essential oils. (Lavendar and tea tree are must-haves, but I also got cinnamon and lemon). I think in the long run, it will save us tons of money, be safe for the environment, and give me the satisfaction of being 'crafty'. As I get more experience with making and using these things, I'll be glad to post recipes, all of which can be found different places on the 'net so will be thoroughly plagarized. :o)

I feel like Ma Ingalls.....sans the cheerful disposition.

6 comments:

C said...

Hey Cindy--

How are you? A whole year's gone by--can you believe it??

Hurry up with those recipes, will you? I would so love to do this, but find myself overwhelmed by anything that veers much from the everyday.

Thanks. And big hugs and more thank-yous for that day last January.

You are one special woman. Mwaaaaa.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I can't wait for the recipes.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to trying these out! Especially the shampoo and bodywash etc. Also just looking forward to hanging out, girly-style!
Thanks for experimenting!

cindy said...

Carrie...you lovely thing! I was thinking about you and little Q these last weeks...does seem weird it was just a year ago. My brother and his wifey moved back here to Indiana, so I won't be back to the Seattle area for a while, :o(

Please, please, please send me some recent pics if you get a chance! much love :o)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I can't wait for those recipes either.

Ampersand said...

Must have the shampoo recipe :-).