Monday, September 18, 2006

Mumblings: How 'bout a real post?

Today the very kind mailperson deposited a smooth, white priority package. What a way to jump-start this Monday morning! Inside I find the new History Odyssey Ancient History Level 2 Study Guide and Map packet from Classical Home Education (Pandia Press) . I had all but abandoned my chonological study of history this year for a two-stream history study of Classical and Early American studies congruously. Well, it's time for some tweaking. I find I miss the in- depth study of a particular time frame. So I re-purchased the guide (having bought it in the spring and reselling it at the start of the school year....because I am a homeschool mother).

For those following a Classical bent, these guides are a treasure trove of activities and readings. For my particular logic stage student, it also teaches outlining, mapping, and requires reports and timeline analysis. It's a no-brainer for me. And, I'm all about that. I haven't altogether ditched the Classical Studies outlined in The Latin-Centered Education, having decided our 60 minute read aloud time will focus primarily on Greek and Roman Myths, literature, and personalities....but we've dropped the Modern Studies (American History) for now. I really like the idea of always having some sort of exposure each year to the Greek and Roman time periods, no matter what our formal history study will be, as so much modern literature resonates with ancient Greek and Roman culture.

So if it's all Greek to you, and when in Rome you'd like to do as the Romans do.....check out History Odyssey. I'll report in again after we've engaged the guide in practice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are also just starting HO Ancients. They came last week and I'm very impressed.

How many times have I bought and sold something, only to purchase it again? And now I have the only-reason-I-need: "because I am a homeschool mother" Perfect!