Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mad ravings: I hate public school. Let me just say that.

(Edited with an update below)

Hate is a strong word. Just not strong enough. I've departed this once from the usual post descriptions because none of them do justice to this. Here we go...hold on to your seatbelts and keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times.

Yesterday, my oldest dd was removed from class, placed in a small closet-type room with a police investigator and a school dean and interrogated about some stupid letter a boy she knows (and abhors) had written. She and 2 other students were mentioned in the letter (calling her names and so forth) and then the kid wrote up a mock obituary that read "Mr. N.... was killed October 4th by students." Somehow this doodle/letter (addressed to no one and not dated) ended up in police headquarters and obviously raised some red flags given the violent shootings this week in national schools.

We've been around the block with this kid before...back in her freshman year. He and my dd (and the two other kids mentioned) were in this particular teacher's class. All three had liked dd and asked her out. She refused all of them. Since then, she's avoided the one kid when she can, and is friendly with the other two. The boy in question is a sad, obviously angry individual, but we've always considered him just immature, an irritating presence at school, someone to pity. Now I'm not so sure. It certainly hasn't done me any good to read the latest headlines.....

I'm also a bit concerned that the police can go into my daughter's school and remove her from class to interrogate her (a minor I might mention) without my permission. Evidently they wanted to be sure she wasn't either conspiring with him or was an actual 'target' for his hate. She says she was scared out of her mind and seriously intimidated to be called out of class and ushered into a tiny room with no explanation. She told them outright she was completely freaked out by the 'interview'. (Good for her!) They told her eventually she wasn't in trouble, but wouldn't give her many details as it was 'police business', and they are investigating anything out of the ordinary due to the hightened violence in public schools recently. (A good thing I suppose)

I don't know whether I'm more upset that they actually thought she might be involved in what she thinks was just stupid doodling 2 years ago, that they did this without my knowing, or that this kid will now come after her again. When she left the 'interview', she was met by this kid glaring at her as he waited his turn. He scared me then. Now he scares me more. When I picked her up after cheerleading practice, I saw him practicing as usual with the marching band. What's up with that? I'm glad they are taking seriously this boy's words and actions, but on the other hand, I'm fairly freaked out that my daughter is involved. I'm sure it will be all over the school today, seeing as she told some friends afterwards. I wish she hadn't done that. I hope she can keep her mouth shut today.

My hubby is calling the principal this morning to get an understanding (and to *give* and understanding) of what is going on. We are now very concerned about our daughter's safety and want to know what is going to happen to secure her safety. We also would like to be contacted the next time she is removed from class with no explanation to be questioned by police investigators. He also spoke to the lawyer at his office to be sure nothing was out of line. Because a female dean of students was also in the room, evidently no rules were broken. BUT, dd also had no obligation to answer questions without her parents permission/presence. She did so because we taught her to respect authority, but man oh man, who'd think to warn your kid not to speak to officers when they're being questioned? Is my life a soap opera or what? What can I expect next with this daughter????

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Someone please remind me why I thought public school was a good idea???? Is this what happens when I teach my kids to be kind to others and to respect authorities? So they can be sh*t on by the angry teenagers of their own generation, questioned by police without an advocate? I'm all for turning the other cheek, so long as it's not at my local public high school.

(Update)
My hubby contacted someone over there, and whoever it was apologized profusely that we weren't contacted...the other students' folks were called. She said "your daughter is never down here in trouble, so I had to look up her last name to even get your number, and then forgot." She also mentioned they brought her down specifically to find out if this kid had previously threatened her and if it was ongoing....not that they suspected her of anything. Well, nice...they could've told her so at the outset. This lady said my daughter was visibly nervous and shaken. Duh.

Dh wanted to know what was going on with this kid now, and evidently they are having daily conferences with his parents (mother is deceased so I don't know if he now has a stepmom) to acertain what kind of threat he is, and what kind of help/intervention can be used for him. They feel there is no immediate threat to this teacher or the other students at this point. I guess I must trust them on that. Because they've done so much to deserve my trust and all. *rolling eyes*

4 comments:

Ampersand said...

Ummm...YIKES! I don't think I would be able to keep myself from, how shall I say it, un-enrolling them!

I know you want to keep your wits about you and not be too reactionary. But, wow, you are definitately getting more than you bargained for, aren't you?

Unknown said...

I told Travis Monday after I read the news that our girl is just never going to school. Never, never, never. I don't know what I'll do if she begs to go. This week I'm doing good not locking us all in the house and refusing to ever come out again.

Anonymous said...

What they did may have been "legal" but it was in no way ethical!!!! Big difference! Shame on them, I would cause a HUGE stink over this Cindy. "Forgetting" to call you because your daughter has never been in trouble? Are you kidding me? I would write a letter to the paper and I would be at the next school board meeting. And that's just to start! It is not over-reacting by any means, they just want you think that so that you don't say anything. Shame, shame, shame on them...this really got me wound up!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do...I guess I'm on the right path by teaching my children not to respect authority, LOL!

The Crib Chick said...

I think that the serious investigation of 'harmless' things that might potentially lead to something worse is not only to be expected, but encouraged in situations like what you're describing. *That* I understand, and would write off as the 'price of doing business' with public school.

But interrogating her without your knowledge? *Forgetting* to call?

Whew.

I think your calm and reserve is to be commended, LOL! I totally understand being livid about that, and I would probably end up throwing, oh, I think the scientific term is...a wall-eyed fit.

And I hear your angst about teaching kids respect and then wondering about it being abused. :o( I have to trust in those *thinking skills* that I believe should be taught side-by-side with that respect, and leave the details to God. I'd go crazy otherwise.