Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mumblings: Someone in marketing wasn't wearing their thinking cap.


NOT the clothes I wear. (Disclaimer: This post has absolutely nothing relevant to homeschooling...but you're prolly used to that by now.) Anyway, I ventured out to a local discount retail clothing department store last night, in need of some winter attire. So as I slash my way thru racks of clothing packed tighter than sardines, I keep noticing a certain brand on the labels. In fact, my husband noticed it on another shopping excursion (because most husbands have nothing to do while their lovely wife sets up habitation in the dressing room EXCEPT notice labels). It says "Sag Harbour".

Now I ask you (as my husband asked me), what woman in her right mind (or over a size 14) would ever want to wear clothing labelled "Sag Harbour"??? Like I need reminded???? What kind of hip name is "Sag Harbour" anyway? (Not that the clothes are hip, they're not.) Maybe that explains why so much of their product line ends up in a deep discount store......hmmm. I would love to write this company and remind them that even though Christie Brinkley is their fashion model and looks oh so attractive in their digs, she'd look as good in saran wrap and sea shells too. Not to mention Christie doesn't know the term 'sag' as it relates to the rest of us, and probably won't in this lifetime. As the classic line in 'Singing in the Rain' goes, so I say: "What 'd ya think I am, dumb r somthin'?"

If I ran the corporation which produced this line of clothing, I'd have fired the goofball who suggested that brandname within a fraction of a nano-second. If only I ran the world......

*sigh*

4 comments:

Ampersand said...

I suppose that Sag Harbor is some hoity-toity place in New England.

But, still, it sure is a terrible brand-name.

I, for one, need nothing that adds to my sagging. Particulary not the tag on my sagging-covering clothing.

Kim

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'll never make it through Penney's again without laughing.

Anonymous said...

Sag Harbor's a scenic seaside village on the south fork of Long Island, not far from the Hamptons. My association with it is rich people with boats ...but I agree that "sag" and clothing should not appear together.

cindy said...

Ahhh....thanks, Andrew, for the geography lesson!

Now I'm wondering the history of the name. Perhaps one of those rich folks with the boats had a distant ancestor named "Sag". Or perhaps one of those ancestors "sagged". Either way, or neither way, for those of us still working on our US geography, "Sag Harbour" just brings to mind all manner of plus size clothing.