Saturday, October 07, 2006

Musings: The technical term is 'tweaking'

We're nine weeks in and the unavoidable end of the honeymoon with new curricula has come. Now comes the time when what you were sure you loved when you bought it is tested. It's also the time I usually begin rethinking what will stay a part of our curricula and what will be resold.

I've bought and sold materials for 10 years now. I've sold and re-purchased the same materials over and over ( and over). I've come to realize my first instincts are usually spot on. I'm drawn to simplicity, to no-frills-get-it-done, with lots of cool read-alouds. But I hate getting bogged down in the details. I'm a whole to parts learner myself, so the grammar stage is generally infuriating to me....I teach the details best when I've got the whole picture in mind. This steers (or should steer) my curriculum choices most of the time.

So my season of reevaluating has brought some surprising conclusions...firstly, that most of what I purchased for the year is working. Secondly, those that aren't huge hits will probably be fine for the duration. Thirdly, reading and writing, math and memorywork are still the best 'core' of our school. Slow and steady wins the race. And lastly, it's fun to add a little spice or change up completely now and then, so long as the 'core' stays consistent.

In practical terms, here's what will be changing. G will drop spelling. (Lemme hear a Woot Woot!). G is adding History Odyssey. G will finish Prima Latina, but switch to a different type of Latin (to be announced). Teaching Textbooks will replace Saxon 7/6.

For the boys, things are staying the same. Hopefully we'll add some more science to what they get at the Learning Garden and what we read in our Nature Reader.

For everyone, we're decreasing the quantity of memorywork, while focusing more on the quality. This means longer selections of poetry, scripture/worthy quotes, and Latin & Spanish vocabulary. We're also continuing with our geography study, artist study, and US Presidents. I'm still amazed every day at how much information my kiddos can collect in their wee brains!
(Several days ago while shopping at Meijer, my boys and I were meandering in the frame/prints area. Suddenly my 5 year old S, yells out "It's Van Gogh! It's Van Gogh!". And he was right, except it wasn't a print we'd studied yet....in other words, he's beginning to recognize the attributes of Van Gogh's work! He's since picked out Cassatt's work as well. I'm so pleased!)

All this doesn't mean I don't frequently have to stuff my fingers in my ears and loudly sing "La La La" when I hear others discussing the newest, greatest way to teach this-and-such. I'm still extremely impressionable when it comes to which curriculum is 'best'. That's when I have to remember it's not the curriculum, it's the teacher (and environment).

So, for once, I finally feel I've found a good balance in our homeschool. It only took 10 years. This year I've decided the honeymoon has been extended.
Tra La La.

No comments: